Wednesday, October 21, 2009

So how bad is the budget situation?

I've used numbers and percents and figures and all that to explain the state's budget crisis. But I just had it explained to me in a way that might make it a little easier to understand. (At least it's funnier than any figure I've used so far.)

House Minority Whip Keith Gardner put it to me like this, explaining that the state is pretty much out of one-time money that can help solve the budget crisis temporarily.

"The problem now is we’re out of one-time monies," he said. "(House Minority Leader) Tom Taylor suggested we go and take out title loans on all the state cars. We’re to the point where we have to sell our mother's heirloom wedding ring, because there's no where else to grab cash."

Well, that's one way of putting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment